Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Back on track...kinda...

Remember almost 10 months ago when you made those New Year's Resolutions? Are you anywhere near those goals/commitments? I did a post about mine, and I'm too lazy now to go back and read what my commitments were for certain, but I think there were 4 of them. I'm currently back on track with 2 and 1/2 of them.

My problem was...the summer. Things get hectic during the summer, because my wife's work slows down, so we need to travel during the week so that she can work, then we come back home and I work on the weekends. When you're traveling and staying in a hotel, and taking care of 2 kids and an infant, it's hard to keep up with your exercising and reading.

But now that school has started back, I have been back to walking about 3 miles a day and back to reading much more, hopefully still to get back to my goal of averaging one a month. I've had to throw in some fiction books in order for me to get back to that goal, but that's ok. Now I figure I'll try alternating books, one fiction then one non-fiction, and see how that goes. The fiction always reads faster, at least for me.

The other two goals...I'm not doing quite as well at. One was simplifying my life, which is where the 1/2 comes in. My computer desk is a mess and we are dangerously close to being behind on bills, so the simplifying hasn't done so well...but I'm working at it. There's still lots less clutter around the house than there used to be, and we've got a plan going to work in the bills.

The one I've stopped completely is talking to my father once a week. I can't really explain why. I'm a little embarrassed about it, a little ashamed, and a lot puzzled. There was little reciprocation of the desire to speak to each other weekly, so it slowly just stopped. It's hard when there seems to be so little that there is to talk about or are willing to talk about. There's only so many ways that a person can say, I need your wisdom and/or guidance. Even being blatant didn't seem to work, so rather than dread the conversation, I just stopped it.

Oh well...maybe someday. It would be nice, but I won't hold my breath.

But getting health and wealth on track, and making sure my own family never gets to the point that me and my father are at...that's about all a guy can ask for, right?

1 comment:

Thomas said...

I have issues with my father as well, not least of which is that he is a practicing Jehovah's Witness which means he's not allowed to come to my birthday celebrations.

Good to hear you're doing fairly well with the other resolutions you made. Making changes is not an easy thing.