Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Sitting Home ISN'T the Answer!!

Ok folks...conservatives...we have a problem. The problem is only partially that John McCain is now the leading candidate for the Republican nomination despite being a liberal-minded person in a party that is typically considered to be full of conservatives. The bulk of the problem is that people are talking about sitting out from voting this year if McCain does go ahead and get the nomination. Are you kidding me?!?!?!? Cry me a river!

Now while I consider myself a conservative, I also mostly consider the fact that I'll be voting Republican, as they'll typically be the more conservative person to vote for. But I don't consider myself a Republican, as I can see myself voting for other people besides a Republican nominee. It also helps not to consider myself a Republican, because I strongly oppose our two-party system.

Anyway, like many conservatives, I will not vote for McCain...even if he's going against Hilliary whom I will also never vote for. But I WILL NOT sit home and refuse to vote.

I believe it's our basic responsibility as Americans to vote. If your a "Republican" and you can't vote for McCain...research a third party candidate and vote for them. Sure, at this point, they'd have little to no chance of winning, but you must stand up and do your duty and vote. There will come a day, in this ever increasing digitalized world, that a third party candidate will have a viable shot...look at what Ron Paul did this year via the Internet.

Besides, the Presidential vote is only part of what makes this country run. Hilliary, or McCain, or Ron Paul, or whoever...none of them can change the country by themselves. The "checks and balances" is required to forward their proposed agenda. So, if for whatever reason, you can't get excited about the presidential race, find a senator or representative that you can get behind and make sure to vote for them. Don't forget about the local politics either...as local politics can effect your daily lives just as much as a national politician can.

So folks, do your duty...get involved. Don't just sit home and make yourself a pouter. Vote! Then you will be able to feel better about voicing your complaints...or at least you should. For those that don't engage themselves in the process, but have no problem criticizing after merely sitting on the sidelines...those are the people we should fear. Those are the ones that feel like they are owed everything for doing nothing...and that, my friends, is unAmerican.

2 comments:

Rocketstar said...

Why wouldn't you vote for McCain?

The Mad Hoosier said...

He's a wolf in sheep's clothing.