Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Ellsworth for Re-election

I live near Evansville, Indiana. My representative is Brad Ellsworth(D). I may not agree with everything he does, but believe it or not, I do agree with much of it. I believe he represents me well...aside from voting for the crazy spending bills that this government has put forth. So he will be getting my vote for re-election this November.

I'll admit, when I didn't vote in the last election, I didn't want him to win. Why? Sadly, mostly because of a negative attack add that centered around the claim that Brad Ellsworth, a former Sheriff, had his daughter's speeding ticket fixed. I don't know if that claim is true or not, but I've come not to care. Only recently did I admit to myself that if I had the opportunity to "take care" of a speeding ticket of one of my kids, I'd likely do it. It would be passing up an opportunity to teach them a valuable lesson, certainly, but given the hassle that comes along with getting a ticket, I'd probably "take care" of the ticket for them.

I can also tell you two people that DO NOT have my support...both Indiana Senators, Richard Lugar(R) and Evan Bayh(D). Neither of them return my emails. Brad has returned nearly every one. Most recently I let him know how disappointed I was with his vote on the Budget Bill, outlining the reasons I've spoke of here before. It was a perfect opportunity, and to be honest I expected it, to ignore the email altogether because it called into question his voting record. To my surprise, he did reply. He outlined reasons why he thought it was good that he voted for it...he even mentioned things that he wish would have received more money for, but he also showed concern for cutting spending on other wasteful programs.

While he didn't detail what he would have liked to spend more on, or what he deemed wasteful, he earned my respect for merely replying to a topic that he could have easily ignored. I call on everyone in Indiana's 8th district to research Brad's voting record and see that he's clearly doing his best not to represent himself, but to represent us.

He needs to be mindful in the future, to stay in touch, stay along this same path, and keep representing the Indiana residents, but I see no reason why he shouldn't be re-elected...not one. And again...he will be recieving my vote.

No comments: