Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Party Politics at it's worst...

This issue is a little late, but still lingering with me from late last year. In many areas, including the Mayoral election of the city I live near, Evansville, Indiana, Democrats won their elections.

This, in and of itself I have little problem with. I try to adopt the mentality that what's done is done, there's no need to dwell and be nasty about it. If someone I didn't vote for wins, ultimately they still have to answer to me, as a voter, even if I don't agree with their stances.

What I can't stand is the braggard's mentality. The same mentality that boasts of having control during the redrawing of congressional districts. Republicans are certainly guilty of this as well. The problem is, this does nothing to help. It is divisive and hurts the people...the very voters that put them in power.

Many have stated, this is a clear statement that Americans want change. Duh! Many elections are about change...there's nothing new there. Regardless of how you were elected, show us how your going to bring about change...don't yap about it, for crying out loud!

Folks, we need people to bring things together, not keep them apart. The mayor of Evansville, in which the city councel is not all Democrats and one Republican...and he ran uncontested, bragged "What a win for the Democrats, huh?" Later on, he continued, that a his win was a win for Evansville.

I'm all for being proud and confident of yourself...but come on. In a city of 150,000 there was 15,000 voters in that election!!! Is that really something to brag about?

I'll say this much...Barack Obama at least brings people together rather than push people away. I can even see myself voting for him over some so-called conservatives that may wind up with the nomination. And that's what we should demand from elected officials at all levels. If someone is satisified with a victory in which there could only been as much as 20% voter turnout, that's someone who doesn't have lofty enough goals.

No comments: