Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Well, I've offended my first blogger...

I just wanted to apologize to Rumpleteazer of Brainiax Blog for my comments that offended her. My comments weren't made with the intention of offending her. We were having a discussion about politics, and more specificly voting. It is a topic that I am passionate about and one that she was beginning to get excited about. I hope my comments did not do anything to extinguish that excitement...that's exactly what we don't need...fewer voters. Again, I am sorry RT.

When I started this blog, I assumed that I would be and even intended to be offensive. There are a great many topics out there that frustrate me, and I initially thought I would just let it all hang out and to heck with everyone else. Then I realized that by being offensive, it does little to really get people to start thinking about a topic. Being offensive evokes emotions and heated exchanges, which can be good, but it is most often irrationally driven because of the emotions running so high.

I still want to have my say about all the topics that frustrate me, but I am trying hard to be as logical and straight forward as possible. I will never intentionally offend a specific person, though I can not help if my views, in general, are offensive to some people. I must be true to myself, yet at the same time, I want to always be open to changing my mind and reshaping my views on something.

I don't make the assumption that I have all the answers or that my view is the best view. I welcome many different perspectives on any topic...I can't promise that it will change my mind, but I will always listen to other's point of view. So while RT won't be the last person I offend, I can say that, just like in her situation, it won't be intentional.

9 comments:

Erica said...

Perhaps Rumpleteazer should develop thicker skin if she's going to be blogging and leaving comments/asking for comments. Still, you were kind to apologize!

RT said...

LOL! It does take a lot more than that to offend me. I'm just irritated that you and Jill started that whole voting thing when I was trying to learn more about Libertarians. (And really, "irritated" is over stating it... I just wanted to get back on the original topic.)

It's too bad we can't see the look on another person's face with these blogs... You wouldn't be so worried if you could see mine right now. ;o)

RT said...

Hey wait a minute! I'm not the first blogger you offended. That honor goes to Tanya Kristine.

Or were you just trying to get on my good side by saying I was the first at something? :o)

The Mad Hoosier said...

Oh yeah...that's right..the pit bull thing. I guess what they say is right, the mind is the first thing to go...it sucks getting old. :)

I'm glad that you weren't tooo offended...sorry I got off topic. I'll do better next time. :)

RT said...

O Please. Do you even know what getting old is???

If you're up to it, get your butt back over there and give me all the crap you want about my poor cooking skills... But I swear, if you bring up broccoli, I will kick your @ss!

Sherri said...

Wow....you are a nice guy! It's nice to see someone out there cares that they may have offended someone....cause I sure don't...hee hee :)

The Mad Hoosier said...

:) I hope you're still saying I'm a nice guy after you read my reply in your blog.

Just understand...I come from the perspective of having a parent that was nearly an alcoholic...and who's drinking ruined a birthday or two in his childhood. I just don't want any of those thoughts I had growing up ever creeping into the mind of your kids.

It's still the came caring about offending RT that drove me to post to you to remind you to stay focused on the tough road ahead. Taking breaks along the way is necessary...just don't let yourself fall into old habits with old friends. Forge a new, greater, future for yourself...we're pulling for you.

Sherri said...

I still think you are a nice guy. Sometimes you have to be a little tough to truly be caring.

I didn't take offense to what you said. You don't really know me so you have no way of knowing if what I was writing about was a daily occurence or merely a yearly one (which it was). I appreciate the concern....Lord knows I need it! :)

rebecca marie said...

i'd be flattered to be offended by such a gentleman!