Thursday, July 14, 2005

Starting At Home

Well, I have to say that when I moved to Indiana, I was less than enthralled with the state. How can anyone be impressed with a state that refused to join most of the rest of the United States in Daylight Savings Time? It was ludicrous trying to figure out the time relation to the rest of your business associates throughout the world.

The number one argument to keep a standard time format? "It makes us unique". WHAT?! UNIQUE?!?! What kind of argument is that? But some how that argument stuck for the first 4 years that I lived in Indiana. Which is to say that past four years...who knows how long that argument held off progress in the past.

Every year, the topic of Daylight Savings would come up, and every year, no one could agree. My goodness people, if that's not a business repellent, I don't know what is. What business in their right mind would move to a state in which their business partners and customers would be utterly confused as to when was an appropriate time to do business?

I tell you what, Governor O'Bannon and Governor Kearnen never had my respect. Neither of them would make a statement about their beliefs on the topic, one way or the other. Probably because their best argument was, "It makes us Unique."

At least "My Man Mitch" Daniels got it done. He's has issues too, but at least the number one reason not to come to Indiana, is now history.

1 comment:

Erica said...

Congrats on starting your blog - and welcome to your new addiction! (Unless you already have another one somewhere.)

I schedule calls for my boss with people across the country, and I always forget that Indiana has seceded from the Daylight Savings Time union almost every time. Often, the client will remind me as we're scheduling, and I can hear their eyeballs rolling as they tell me. I have yet to speak with a Hoosier who does not find it odd, too.

If I'm not mistaken, parts of Arizona are in Pacific Time and others are in Mountain. Plays merry hell with my day.

Will keep reading you - thanks for commenting on my blog :-)